Sunday, July 17, 2011

his little heart

It's Sunday morning. Since we woke up too late to make the first service at church, and knowing nap time would fall right at the time for the second service, I thought I'd go ahead and just make a good ol' Sunday morning breakfast (but not before repenting for missing church and wondering how long it would take for my mom to call and give me a guilt trip!).

Sean worked the night before and I wasn't sure what time he had come home this morning, but I made him a plate to bring to him in bed. If it was too early for him to wake up, he could just eat and fall back to sleep. Well... it was too early. Carter and I opened the bedroom door, walked in, and Sean just said "No, babe." Didn't even open his eyes. No? Did you say no? I knew he said it, but I guess I just had to make sure. This hot breakfast wouldn't be good later. And you know how it is when you spend time cooking, timing each dish just right so they're all ready and hot at the same time? You want people to eat it- now! But he wasn't eating. Wasn't even opening his eyes.

As we were walking back to the kitchen, Sean's plate still in hand, Carter touched my arm and said, "Did that kind of hurt your feelings, Mommy?" I smiled and told Carter that Sean has probably only been asleep for a couple hours and he's not being mean. His body just needs more rest. Carter put his arm around me and said, "Well, I know, but it hurts my feelings for you. You worked really hard on that breakfast."

Wow. That sweet child. He is more incredible and compassionate and loved than he could ever know. He's still a boy, and a wild one at that sometimes. But it's moments like these that can power me through anything. The long day after a sleepless night, endless amounts of laundry, a busy weekend without the help of my husband- all of these things become trivial.

Thank you God for my children, who you have entrusted me with. And thank you for every day that I get to pour my heart and soul into them. And thank you for those little conversations like today that make it all beyond worthwile.

3 comments:

  1. He is a gift from God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet little man!!!! You are a great Mommy, Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were a blogger. I am a blogger too!! What a sweet post and what a sweet little boy. I am going to miss seeing Carter at school this year!! But must admit I am a little jealous you get so much time with him now!! Hope it's a great year!!

    ReplyDelete